Playing Catch Up


Here I sit, with a cold beer and Chex Mix to nibble on and am first going to apologize for the long hiatus since my last blog.  You see, cruising for me is such a new experience that I am still working on keeping a schedule (pronounced “shed yule” for my British friends).  If you can imagine not having any daily requirements in your life except for making the coffee in the morning (the time depends....are we moving today or just hanging out?), helping the captain with ship chores (we put up a big a.. solar panel while anchored at Cape Sable Beach), and maybe doing a bit of 5 gallon bucket laundry (see picture of my blue plunger thingee).  So in between those tasks I might do some sun bathing, fix breakfast and lunch (The captain does dinner....Yippee), see to the doggies’ needs which typically means getting my little Allie to make Tee Tee on her green eco rug, and driving the boat every 2 hours that we are underway during the ‘shed yuled’ ERC’s (you remember what that is, yes?).  So what I am trying to say is that writing in my blog has taken somewhat of a back seat but I am a girl on a mission now and am going to make a concerted effort to “Keep Em Coming”,  so with all that said I will do a quick rundown on what’s been happening since my last entry which was after our Cape Romano anchorage. 
You push it up and down and it swooshes the water and soap around the clothes, Genius!

Since Cape Romano we spent a week in Marathon, Fl. at Boot Key Harbor.  There were no mooring balls available for “big boats” so we anchored just off the harbor in Sister Creek.  There were several sail boats in there already but we found a good spot and had to tie off our stern to the mangroves to keep from swinging too much.  Marathon is a great cruisers’ community.  Many of the boats in the mooring field live there year round and many return every year to spend the winter in the keys.  Every morning at 9am on VHF radio, channel 68 there’s a “Cruisers’ Net broadcast.  It’s a great forum for the cruisers to get information about what’s happening in Marathon as well as a place to get help, ask questions, and even a segment called “Buy, Sell, Trade, Give-Away”.  At the end of the session (usually lasts about an hour) there’s a trivia challenge which can be fun and entertaining, however, one day the digestive tract of the armadillo went on a bit too long......TMI, if you know what I mean.  Gross!!!

While in Marathon we were able to pay for Dinghy Dock access which gave us the same privileges as those on the mooring balls.  Dock access allows you to use the showers, laundromat, mail and package delivery, free water, ice machines and a book exchange library and meeting area.  We were able to get laundry done, offload our trash, top of our water supply, make a couple of grocery runs on the bikes (see pic) and most importantly, we took the dogs to the vet for the Bahamas health certificate which is required if you have pets onboard.  We were also able to meet up with some good friends, Alan and Peggy Smith who were passing through on their way to look at a slip in a marina south of us.  We had a great meal at the Florida Keys Steak and Lobster House and they were kind enough to take us to Publix for some last minute provisions (Spicy V8 for Bloody Mary Sundays!).  Ken was also able to finish up his “Must Do Boat Chores” before the crossing.  All in all it was a great week and we were able to get everything done that we had hoped to do before we leave the US.

And that brings me to today.....We are in the Gulf Stream....Essentially, the Atlantic Ocean, depth of 2,528 feet!  Just ahead of us is Gun Cay, Bahamas.  We have had a good crossing, just a bit Roley Poley but a good weather window to get there without breaking any dishes!  The Captain is still not sure where we will check in and clear customs but we are considering continuing on across the Great Bahama Bank to Great Harbor Cay Marina in the Berry Islands group.  If so, that means we would be underway until about 10 pm and we started this morning at 4:30.  We can do it!!!  We did the Gulf Crossing for 34 hours straight, so this is a piece of Key Lime Pie!!!

Now, I have had a special request (J. Salyer) to describe what it is I DON’T like about cruising.....Before I address this issue please know that these things are definitely not deal breakers, just things to get used to and incorporate into a new lifestyle. This new lifestyle includes:  NOT going to work, NOT using an alarm clock, NOT having to wait in line at Speedee Oil Change, NOT having to fight rush hour traffic, NOT having to use Spray On Tan, NOT missing a sunrise or sunset, NOT smelling chlorine when I swim, NOT having to go to SeaWorld to watch Dolphins do tricks and NOT having to eat frozen Lobster!  And for all that, I just have to learn to accept that fresh water is not always available so I can’t take a long hot shower (but a salt water bath in the ocean is pretty awesome).  Another negative is the constant humidity.  Hailing from south Louisiana, I should be used to that and I am, it’s just that I hate it.  “Boat hair, don’t care” has become my mantra.  The humidity also means that drawers, doors and cabinets get stuck and are hard to open and close and that can be frustrating too. 
And I guess the last thing that would be a problem for most is the need to conserve power.  On our trawler we surely have all the comforts of home, minus a washer and dryer, but using some of the appliances can only be done with the generator on or while the engines are running.  These “power drainers” include the microwave/convection oven, the Hot Pot, and wouldn’t you know it....my blow dryer and hair curling iron.  So I have to learn when and for how long I can use them.  What I have done to contribute to our energy conservation is to swap the blow dryer for the wind and sun, and the curling iron for some hair gel and a new attitude....”Boat Hair, Don’t Care”.  Seems to be working well and takes me so much less time to get ready....I’m always ready!!!  Love it!!!

Alright my blog reading friends (all 2 of you, LOL!), my beer is hot, the Chex Mix is gone (Ken had some too!) and we are passing by Gun Cay and the water is gorgeous so I will take my leave and head up to the flying bridge so that I can soak it all in.....I’m in the Bahamas, and didn’t have to board a plane to get here and that is quite incredible.  Once again, somebody pinch me.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conch-y Tonkin

The Crossing

Home is Where the Anchor is.....