Home is Where the Anchor is.....




When you are living on a boat and moving through the seas, you don’t really have an address.   You must “bloom where you are planted” (my angel of a mother used to tell me that) and therefore in my case as I live aboard a 50 ft. Trawler, my home is where the anchor is.   Currently, the anchor is dug in pretty nicely just off of Coachroach Cay (I know, doesn’t sound very romantic).  We are here waiting for the ever elusive ‘weather window’ so that we can traverse down to the Exumas.  I had this epiphany about home being where we are anchored and on that very same day we had to work tirelessly untangling said anchor.  There was a large section of the anchor chain that had “hockles” and we were tasked with untangling it.

This chore fell mostly to the Captain but as the first mate I had a role as well.  
All 275 feet of the anchor chain had to be let out and then sections of it untangled and then hauled  back into the chain locker in the bow.  Without going into too much detail it was a grueling task and Ken had the worst of it bouncing about in the dinghy while trying to untangle a mass of steel chain.
My contribution consisted of sitting in the bow opening of the chain locker and untwisting the chain as he fed it back in.  It was a task that needed to be done but I was never so happy to be done with a boat chore as I was when that one was done.

We promptly jumped overboard for a cleansing swim and Sun Shower fresh water rinse when all was done.  Then a refreshing beverage, high fives and talk of what was for dinner.  And once again.....I was HOME, where the Untangled Anchor is......


Ken rinsing off with our Sun Shower 
Nothing like a Sea Bath!!!

Comments

  1. Well, here is your first comment. Your blog is terrific! 😘

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Conch-y Tonkin

The Crossing