Engine Room Check


Something I realized after 4 days of cruising....I no longer have a “nine to five” day or any other set time frame.  Well, that’s not actually true as my days have now become structured by the ‘Engine Room Check’ (heretofore referred to as the ERC).  So that means that every 2 hours while we are underway I must man the helm while Ken goes down into the bowels of the ship to transfer fuel and do his “captain thing”.  When that is done I have 2 hours until the next one and must take advantage of that time to get my first mate chores done as well as incorporate some ME time.

The morning time off (and I use that phrase loosely) is usually taken up with breakfast preparation and galley cleaning as my Spotify play list provides inspiration.  I REALLY like my galley to be neat and tidy....
After that, my 2 hour intervals involve, among other things, giving our pups some attention and working on “boat potty training” my little dog, Allie.  Ken’s lab, Duke, is an accomplished live aboard pooch and knows right where ‘to go’.  Allie is making some progress, albeit, very reluctantly.

Today we are preparing to do an open water crossing of the big bend so I’ve been stowing counter items that could fly about in rough seas.  Though we don’t anticipate very rough water, it is always best to prepare for it.  Heaven forbid the snacks go flying!! Gives a whole to new meaning to “tossing your cookies”...Sorry, couldn’t resist.
I had to break away just now as it was time for yet another ERC and it took a lot of discipline to stay at the helm when I saw several dolphins heading straight for us.  They love to hitch a ride on our bow wave and it is so magical to watch them glide along with us.  They swap places as they swim along and roll on their sides and look up at me as I hang over the rail watching them.  I am sad when they finally peel off and take their leave of us but so enjoyable for the time they give us to be with them.

Therefore, when I see them making a bee line for our bow while I am manning the helm, I must rely on my memory and hold my position --- for I am DRIVING the boat--and Frolic, I must NOT!  This lesson was learned the hard way....and when I say hard, I am referring to how we scraped a channel marker piling when I ran up to the bow to watch the dolphins while on duty......Oooops.....Sorry---”DID I DO THAT?”....Suffice it to say, I don’t do that anymore.  Luckily, there are many opportunities to watch the dolphins while Ken is at the helm.....Patience....Patience.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Conch-y Tonkin

The Crossing

Home is Where the Anchor is.....